What is Osteoarthritis & Homeopathy Treatment
Osteoarthritis [OA] is a degenerative [progressive decline or loss of function] disorder of the joints. It is characterised by pain and inflammation [red, swollen, hot, and painful tissue response to injury, or infection], followed by loss of cartilage [the cushion between the bones in the joint], joint degeneration, or abnormality.
WHAT IS OSTEOARTHRITIS
The term, ‘osteo,’ refers to bones; ‘orthro,’ to the joints; and, ‘itis,’ to inflammation.
- Osteoarthritis is characterised by loss of cartilage. This may cause pain with basic movements
- The breakdown of the ‘cushion’ between bones is usually triggered by repeated joint injury, heredity, obesity, diabetes, and the presence of other joint, or bone, disease
- A decline in hormone levels in women after menopause [stoppage of periods] may lead to a greater risk of OA and premature death
- The risk of osteoarthritis of the knee joint, especially in women, increases 40 per cent for each 10-pound weight gain
- Osteoarthritis occurs more rapidly in older adults with joint injuries than younger people
- Individuals who hold jobs requiring extreme physical activity may progressively develop osteoarthritis.
WHAT IT DOES
- Osteoarthritis affects the knee, hip, hand, elbow, ankle, spine, or multiple joints
- It may prevent the affected individual to get engaged in normal, day-to-day activity
- When osteoarthritis becomes severe, it may confine the individual to bed — for days at a stretch
- The pain may sometimes vary in its intensity, or severity. The result is: one could experience mild, moderate to severe joint pain and stiffness, along with crippling aches — with joint deformity.
WHAT RESEARCH SAYS
Research suggests that individuals, who start specialist homeopathic treatment and auxiliary physiotherapy early, have fewer complications. They also have a reduced need for surgery, when compared to individuals who start treatment much later.
HOMEOPATHY: THE SAFE, EFFECTIVE TREATMENT FOR OSTEOARTHRITIS
Homeopathy treats osteoarthritis on the basis of what makes the affected individual and their complaints unique — such as the ‘character’ of joint symptoms, pain, its type, what relieves or worsens it, including the individual’s personality, sensitivities and emotions.
Homeopathic treatment not only relieves osteoarthritis pain, safely and effectively, it also adds life to one’s joint health and overall wellness.
In a clinical study, conducted in Europe, a group of individuals suffering from osteoarthritis of the knee were given a gel containing a homeopathic remedy, or medicine, and asked to apply it twice daily. They were assessed at 3 and 6 weeks for pain, stiffness and functional capacity of the knee. The clinical assessment showed a significant reduction in pain and stiffness, besides noticeable improvement in the functional ability of the knee, without side-effects.
In another study, published in The American Journal of Pain Management, osteoarthritis patients were split into two groups. They were either given a homoeopathic medicine, or acetaminophen [paracetamol], a commonly prescribed conventional drug for pain relief in osteoarthritis. The study found that homeopathic treatment for osteoarthritis provided a level of pain relief that was superior to acetaminophen, but with no adverse reactions.
- Reduce your weight in consultation with your doctor, more so if you are on the higher side of the weighing scale. This helps to control your arthritic twinge, or discomfort
- Regular exercise helps to strengthen your muscles and potentially stimulate cartilage growth
- Studies suggest that vitamins C and E supplements provide natural protection to the joints. They also help to maintain healthy collagen
- Applying a hot pack, or warm poultice, is handy to relieving pain
- Consult a specialist [prosthetist] for assistive devices to improve joint function
- Follow-up with your homeopathic doctor on a regular basis.