Hair Fall Reasons
Heredity is known to be the most common reason for hair fall that occurs with aging. This condition is also called androgenic alopecia (AA). There are 2 types of AA i.e., male-pattern baldness (hair loss in men) and female-pattern baldness (hair loss in women). Dihydrotestosterone (male sex hormone) is a primary cause of hair fall in case of male and female pattern baldness.
However, there are some other common reasons for hair fall too. Some of which are mentioned below:
- Poor nutrition: This is one of the most common reasons for hair loss, especially in India. Iron deficiency (anaemia) tops the list followed by protein deficiency as the leading cause of hair fall. Improper absorption of nutrients can also lead to poor nutrition.
- Crash dieting: Excessive dieting (especially mono dieting) disturbs the balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat; becoming a major hair fall reason. Even after the patient gets back on a normal diet, hair loss may not be reversed.
- Oral contraceptives: Certain oral contraceptives with synthetic progesterone can be a reason for hair fall (female pattern baldness). Prolonged use of oral contraceptives can be a major hair fall reason even after discontinuation.
- Poor circulation: A study by The National Center for Biotechnology Information shows that male pattern baldness in young men was associated with several other reasons for hair fall. These included increased serum cholesterol levels and higher blood pressure compared to men of similar age with no hair loss. Follicles that are constantly deprived of blood (and therefore nutrients) cannot produce hair properly making it a cause of hair fall.
- Smoking: Nicotine (tobacco) causes shrinkage in your blood vessels and blocks the blood circulation to your hair follicles. With decreased blood supply to your hair follicles, your hair growth cycle is disturbed. Therefore, smoking makes it a leading reason for hair fall.
- Mental stress: When an individual is highly stressed, it can be a major hair loss cause. The exact mechanism of this reason for hair fall is not known. Many people experience thinning hair several months after a physical or emotional trauma. This hair fall reason generally leads to a temporary loss of hair.
- Dandruff: Dandruff is inflamed, flaky skin on the scalp, which hinders proper circulation and nutrition to the hair. This becomes one of the many leading causes of hair loss.
- Medications: Drugs used in the treatment of gout, depression, arthritis, high blood pressure and heart problems contain ingredients that can trigger or be a cause of hair fall. Chemotherapy drugs and radiation treatment are other common hair fall reasons. Here are some examples of medications that have side effects and can be a cause of hair fall.
- blood thinners
- cholesterol-lowering drugs
It’s essential that you consult your doctor before stopping any medication, as it can cause serious health problems.
- Presence of systemic illnesses: Diabetes, lupus, scleroderma, etc. can be a reason for hair fall.
- Hormonal changes: Pregnancy, childbirth, menopause, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, etc. can all be major hair fall reasons, especially in women. A common reason for excessive hair fall is hormonal imbalance (polycystic ovary syndrome or PCOS). Certain birth control pills can cause a temporary hormonal imbalance which also contributes to be a major reason for hair fall.
- Hair treatments: This is among the most common causes of hair loss. Chemical treatment of hair, especially with ammonia-based products, perming, straightening, ironing, etc., can be harmful. This can lead to hair damage and can become a major reason for hair fall.
- Infection of the scalp: Scalp infections such as ringworm can also be a cause of hair loss.
- Local diseases: Scalp diseases such as psoriasis, lichen planus, etc., can also be a reason for hair fall.
- Recuperating from serious illness: Illnesses such as high fever, sudden or excessive weight loss can be a hair fall reason. Even post-surgery conditions and metabolic disturbances can be a significant reason for excessive hair fall.
What are the reasons for hair fall?
- Family history (heredity) is the most common cause of hair loss.
- Hormonal changes and medical conditions are major hair fall reasons.
- Radiation therapy can be a hair loss cause.
- A stressful event can also act as one of the reasons for hair fall.
- Hairstyles and treatments areamong the most common hair fall reasons.
What is the main cause of hair fall?
Can a lack of vitamin D be a cause of hair loss?
What illnesses are responsible for hair loss or are hair fall reasons?
What is the reason for excessive hair fall in women?