Constipation (Stomach Disorder) - Treatment
Constipation is caused when the colon absorbs too much water from the food and therefore makes the feces dry and hard. This can lead to a painful bowel movement and may require a lot of straining. Homeopathy treatment works on the fluid balance of the colon and heals the symptoms of constipation.
Constipation treatment in homeopathy is effective in both acute and chronic cases of constipation. There can be various reasons behind a constipation problem; it can be caused by a nutritional imbalance, stress and/or serious medical conditions. Homeopathic constipation treatment not only manages the symptoms but also helps to correct its underlying cause; this eventually reduces its recurrence and gives long-lasting relief.
Homeopathic medicines treat constipation by strengthening the sluggish intestines. As the intestines get stronger, their propensity for expelling waste raises and bowel movements are regularized, this helps to form stools of normal consistency. Constipation treatment in homeopathy also helps to heal associated conditions such as piles and anal fissures arising from long-term constipation.
Constipation in children: Constipation is more common in children due to changes in diet. A constipated child has fewer bowel movements or dry, hard stools. Homeopathic treatment of constipation in children promotes healthy digestion gently without causing any side-effects on their health.
Constipation during pregnancy: Many pregnant women also complain about constipation throughout their pregnancy; this occurs due to hormonal changes. Homeopathy remedies not only help in treating constipation but also treat indigestion, heartburn and stomach pain which are common during pregnancy.
Homeopathic medicines are made from natural ingredients and are therefore safe and free from side-effects. Thus, they are suitable for people of all age groups.
Conventional treatment vs. homeopathy treatment
A laxative is a medication that stimulates or facilitates bowel movements. There are many over-the-counter laxative medicines available which don’t require a prescription, but this doesn’t mean that they are without risks. If you’re considering using laxatives, remember:
- Laxatives can interfere with certain antibiotics, heart and bone medications.
- If you’re breastfeeding, some ingredients in laxatives can pass to your baby through breast milk, and it can cause diarrhea or other digestive problems in the infant.
- Overuse of laxatives (other than bulk formers) can result in loss of muscle and nerve response in the intestines; this can lead to high dependency on laxatives for the excretion of a stool.
- If the use of laxatives leads to diarrhea, your body can become dehydrated. Diarrhea can also lead to an electrolyte imbalance (too much or too little water in the body).
Longstanding cases of constipation and those with great discomfort can be best addressed under the guidance of a homeopathic practitioner. Homeopathic medicines are non-toxic and do not interfere with other treatment systems. After starting homeopathy constipation treatment, people can even reduce or end their dependency on laxatives, cathartics and purgatives successfully.
Homeopathy medicines help treat the patients’ anxiety levels that can cause or increase constipation. A homeopath monitors a patient’s case scientifically and counsels on an exercise regimen and a nutritional plan to help patients with their constipation.
Patients notice improvements in the following ways:
- Frequency of passing stools becomes regular.
- Associated pains with passing motion, if any, get relieved.
- No strain is required to pass stools.
- The patient gets a feeling of complete evacuation.
Homeopathy offers constipation treatment based on the patient's case history. The homeopathic medicines are selected after a complete individualized case analysis; it includes the presenting symptoms of constipation, possible causative factors, medical history of the patient, mental and physical constitution, family history, underlying pathology, etc.
According to a research study published in ResearchGate, 30 cases presenting with constipation and stomach pain were treated with homeopathic remedies. The constipation treatment led to complete improvement in 25 cases i.e. 83.33%, 4 cases i.e. 13.33% showed moderate improvement and 1 case i.e. 3.33% showed mild improvement.
At Dr Batra’s™, we specialize in treating gastroenterological problems including constipation with a positive treatment outcome rate of 97.2% (authenticated by American Quality Assessors). Our experts also provide an individualized diet plan, if necessary, along with homeopathic constipation treatment. Book an appointment with our homeopathic gastroenterologist for effective constipation treatment without any side-effects.
What provides quick relief from constipation?
- Eat more fiber: Fiber makes the stool softer and heavier, this makes it easier to pass. Gradually increase the quantity of fiber in your diet until your intake is at least 20 to 35 grams of fiber daily. Good sources of fiber include whole grains found in cereals, bread and brown rice; beans, vegetables and fresh or dried fruits.
- Stay hydrated: Water is essential for preventing constipation. Adequate water content can help to soften stools and stimulate bowel movements. It is recommended to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
- Try coffee: While caffeinated drinks and alcohol can dehydrate you, a cup of coffee or tea in the morning may help your secretion process of digestion.
If these symptoms are affecting your physical and mental health, we suggest you to go for irritable bowel syndrome treatment.
- Exercise regularly: Moving your body can help with bowel movement which will help to keep the digestive tract healthy.
- Adjust your toilet posture: It may be easier to flush out your stool if you squat, raise your legs, or lean back.
- Check your medicines: Several prescription medications can cause constipation. Ask your doctor if this might be the problem and if there is an alternative medication.
- Biofeedback: Some people get constipation because they unconsciously clench their muscles during stool excretion. A therapist can help to train the pelvic floor muscles to relax.
- Massage: Massaging your abdomen can help encourage bowel movements. This helps to stimulate digestion and relieve constipation.
If you experience constipation for three weeks or more, get a check-up just to make sure a medical condition isn't causing the problem.
Constipation treatment in homeopathy not only works to relieve constipation symptoms but also helps reduce the tendency for recurrent secretion problems. This natural treatment for constipation promotes healthy digestion by toning up the digestive tract. There can be various causes of constipation and one of them can be dehydration.
What can constipation be a sign of?
- Certain diseases such as Parkinson’s disease, diabetes and stroke
- Problems with the large intestine or rectum, including diverticulosis, intestinal obstruction or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Misuse or overuse of laxatives (medications to loosen stools)
- Hormonal problems, including an underactive thyroid gland
- Tiny tears in the skin located around the anus (anal fissure)
- A blockage in the intestines (bowel obstruction)
- Colon cancer
- Narrowing of the colon (bowel stricture)
- Other abdominal cancer that presses on the large intestine
- Rectal cancer
It is recommended to get constipation treatment as soon as possible if the severity of the symptoms is affecting your physical and mental health.
What not to eat if you are constipated?
Gluten is a protein found in grains like barley, wheat, spelt, rye, kamut and triticale. Some people may experience constipation when they eat foods containing gluten.
Processed grains and their products such as cereals, crackers, pastries, white rice and white bread are lower in fiber and can be more constipating compared to whole grains. That’s because the germ parts of the grain and the bran are removed during processing. In particular, the bran contains fiber, a nutrient that adds volume to stool and helps it move along.
Milk and dairy products
Dairy products appear to be one of the common causes of constipation, at least for some people.
It’s necessary to note that those who are lactose intolerant may get diarrhea rather than constipation after they consume dairy products or milk.
Red meat may worsen constipation for two main reasons:
i) Red meat contains less fiber and fiber adds bulk to stools which helps them move along.
ii) Red meat generally contains higher amounts of fat and high-fat foods take longer to digest. In some cases, this may increase the possibility of constipation.