Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treatment in Homeopathy
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a gastrointestinal condition that affects the muscular contraction of the large intestine. This leads to symptoms such as cramping, abdominal pain, bloating, gas, and diarrhea or constipation. Along with physical symptoms, irritable bowel syndrome can also cause psychological distress to a person. Homeopathic treatment focuses on the underlining causes of these symptoms and reduces a person’s susceptibility to the condition. Homeopathic medicines maintain the equilibrium between the mind and the body; it treats the condition gently and naturally, without causing any side-effects.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treatment in Homeopathy
To address the physical symptoms, irritable bowel syndrome treatment in homeopathy works on abnormalities in the nervous system; it regulates the immune system and provides relief from the symptoms at the physical level. It heals abdominal pains and bowel problems accompanied by tension and astringent sensations without interfering with any ongoing medical treatments.
The link between stress and irritable bowel syndrome goes both ways. Stress and anxiety sometimes trigger over-activity of the gut which causes IBS symptoms. Conversely irregular bowel movements may also affect the emotional state of a person and he/she might feel anxious or depressed. Homeopathy treatment helps to manage stress and anxiety by reducing the cortisol level (stress hormone); this helps to relax the muscle contraction of the large intestine and eases the digestion function.
Homeopathic Medicine for irritable bowel syndrome
Homeopathic medicine for irritable bowel syndrome is prescribed after a series of evaluations which include assessment of the symptoms, a detailed study of the family history, genetics, physical and emotional attributes. Along with that, homeopaths also study the intensity of the symptoms to provide an individualized diet plan.
Homeopathy treats the condition with a holistic approach. Irritable bowel syndrome treatment in homeopathy is tailored to suit the patient's mental and physical characteristics. For example, Argentum Nitricum is an excellent homeopathic remedy for people with nervous personalities who suffer from diarrhea after eating sweets and abdominal bloating due to gas; whereas Nux Vomica is usually prescribed to IBS patients with irritable, finicky and argumentative behavior and those who experience a frequent urge to pass stools.
(Disclaimer: Medicines should only be taken after consultation with a doctor)
A six-year study at Bristol Homeopathic Hospital, published in ResearchGate, revealed that 70% of the patients with irritable bowel syndrome reported positive health changes after homeopathic treatment.
Why Dr Batra's for Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treatment in Homeopathy?
At Dr Batra’s®, we specialize in treating gastroenterological problems including irritable bowel syndrome with a positive treatment outcome rate of 97.2% (authenticated by American Quality Assessors). Our experts also provide an individualized diet plan if necessary along with homeopathic irritable bowel syndrome treatment. Book an appointment with our homeopathic gastroenterologist for effective irritable bowel syndrome treatment.
What foods trigger IBS attacks?
If your digestive system is sensitive, you should avoid fried food and fatty meats. Food with high-fat content can increase contractions in the intestine for the bowel movement more than what is required.
This doesn't mean avoiding fat altogether. Food with healthy fat, such as nuts and fish, can be beneficial for digestion and overall health.
Many people suffer from a condition called lactose intolerance due to which their bodies find it difficult to digest the sugar found in dairy products. Lactose intolerance can lead to digestive symptoms like cramping, bloating and diarrhea.
Although a high fiber diet is important for digestion, certain high fiber foods can be problematic. For people with celiac disease, intake of a protein called gluten can cause the body's immune system to attack the small intestine and result in serious health problems. Gluten is found in some whole grains like wheat, rye and barley.
Soda is carbonated water and it can contribute to problems like intestinal gas and bloating. The high amount of sugar in regular soda may add to an imbalance in your gut bacteria and cause further gas.
How do you know you have irritable bowel syndrome?
- Excessive gas: People with IBS may experience the problem of excessive gas. This is because IBS causes problems with the bacteria in the gut. It creates certain toxins and causes excessive gas.
- Pain and cramps: Experiencing cramps and pain in the lower abdomen are two of the main symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Oversensitivity of the gut is a possible cause of these symptoms. IBS affects how the gut and brain work together; it may cause the muscles in the gut to contract more than required for a normal bowel movement.
- Bloating: Feeling bloated is another symptom of IBS. Bloating refers to the collection of gas in the gut, which can cause the abdomen to be fuller and appear rounder than usual. The same factors that cause excessive gas in IBS can also cause bloating.
- Diarrhea: Diarrhea is a key symptom of IBS. It happens because the muscles in the gut contract more than required. Diarrhea can be accompanied by a feeling of muscle cramps.
- Fatigue: Lack of energy or feeling fatigued is another common symptom of IBS. Fatigue may occur alongside other IBS symptoms which include psychological distress and bowel-related symptoms.
- Feeling stressed: The physical symptoms of IBS can cause psychological distress. And feeling stressed or having anxiety can worsen IBS symptoms.
- Brain fog: Symptoms like bloating and intestinal gas are also linked with brain fog. Brain fog or foggy thinking refers to trouble while concentrating, mental confusion and impaired judgment.
If these symptoms are affecting your physical and mental health, we suggest you to go for irritable bowel syndrome treatment.
What is the best treatment for irritable bowel syndrome?
Irritable bowel syndrome treatment in homeopathy acts on both the mind as well as the body; it helps to decrease the intensity and frequency of the symptoms by treating the root cause. This side-effect-free solution reduces the dependency on conventional medication and improves the quality of life. Irritable bowel syndrome treatment in homeopathy helps in reducing the frequency of attacks gradually so that the person’s overall health is restored to normalcy.
What is the main cause of irritable bowel syndrome?
- Muscle contractions in the intestine: The intestine walls are lined with layers of muscles that contract as they move food through your digestive tract. Contractions that are stronger and stay for a longer time than usual can cause gas, bloating and diarrhea. This can lead to IBS.
- Abnormalities in the nervous system: Abnormalities in the nerves of your digestive system may cause you greater discomfort. Your body may overreact to normal changes that occur in the digestive process due to poorly coordinated signals between the intestines and the brain. This results in pain, constipation or diarrhea.
- Severe infection: IBS can develop after a severe bout of diarrhea caused by a virus or bacteria. It might also be associated with an excess of bacteria in the intestines.
- Early life stress: People exposed to stressful events, especially during childhood, are more likely to have symptoms of IBS.
- Changes in gut microbes: There are chances that diet, drugs and lifestyle cause changes in microbes and makes people more susceptible to IBS condition.
Can IBS go way on its own?
If the condition is causing physical pain and lasts for more than 3 weeks, your doctor may advise you to tweak your diet and take medication. Homeopathy for irritable bowel syndrome treatment helps to reduce the recurrence of IBS and heals its root cause naturally for long-term relief.