What are the Reasons for Acne on Face & Pimple Causes?
Reasons for Acne
Our bodies never stop changing, and our hormones play an important role in it. Hormonal changes alone may lead to weight fluctuations, mood swings and even act as a reason for acne or pimples.
People with acne might often wonder: “Why me of all the people in this world?” There are several explanations to causes of acne in some people and not in others. However, the precise cause of acne still remains a mystery. Though we do not quite know the 'why', we do know the 'how'. Acne develops through the pores (hair follicles) in our skin. These are closely associated with oil glands, called ‘sebaceous glands’, which produce sebum. Sebum is an oily substance that lubricates our hair and skin.
When sebum is being secreted, the dead skin cells are also being expelled from the lining of the pore at the same time. Excessive sebum secretion can result in accumulation, thus clogging the pore. Accumulated excessive sebum and dead skin cells lead to swelling around the pore and is a cause of acne. Other reasons for acne could include bacteria that can build up inside the pore, leading to the formation of pus.
Causes or Reasons for Acne and Pimples
- Hormonal changes - Hormonal changes that happen in both men and women are among the major reasons for acne on face and other parts of the body. The surplus oil created by these hormones is instrumental in clogging the hair follicles. In women, hormonal changes occur with puberty, menstrual periods, pregnancy, use of birth-control pills and menopause. Each of these is a potential phase for developing acne. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is also a common cause of acne.
- Genetics - Heredity plays a significant role in the persistence and cause of acne. According to a study published by the National Health Services, if both parents had acne, an individual is more likely to get severe acne at an early age.
- Medications - Certain medications can lead to severe outbreaks and is a major cause of pimples on face in some individuals.
- Stress - Changes in the body induced by stress have been extensively studied over many decades. It is not clear if stress is a direct reason for acne on face but it can aggravate existing Acne.
- Bacteria - Propionibacterium acnes is a tiny microbe or bacteria that lives in the oily region of the skin's pores. The bacteria can aggravate an immune response which causes red swollen bumps and is a major acne cause or cause of pimples on the face.
- Diet – Consumption of certain foods, including carbohydrate-rich foods, such as bread, bagels and chips is an acne or pimple cause.
- Cosmetics - Certain cosmetics that are used over a long period of time can be leading pimples on face reason. Certain face creams, foundation creams, overnight creams and moisturizers are known to cause more harm and is a major reason for pimples or acne.
Find out your skin health score, take the skin evaluation test: Test Now
What is the cause of Pimples on face?
What foods are causes of Pimples on face?
What causes sudden Acne breakouts in adults?
What does acne on the forehead mean?
Why does my Acne keep coming back?