How long does it take for Lichen Planus to clear up?
Lichen planus skin disease is triggered by the weak immune system. The exact cause of lichen planus is not known but factors such as viral infections, allergens, stress and genetics are said to trigger this skin condition. People suffering from lichen planus present with purplish colored lesions or bumps with flat tops on the skin. The main sites are hands, legs, ankles, and face. When the inner lining of mouth is involved it is termed Oral Lichen Planus. It is difficult to tell the duration in which Lichen Planus will clear up. It is definitely a long term treatment as the weak immune system needs to come back to normal and the aim of treatment is to increase the disease free period.
Lichen Planus – Homeopathic Treatment Benefits
- As this disorder is caused due to defect in the immune system, homeopathy helps treating it by correcting the deviated immune system and restoring it back to normalcy.
- In any skin affection there is often an underlying psychosomatic factor. Homeopathy can help treat this factor very effectively without causing dependence or addiction.
- Stress which is the commonest triggering factor of Lichen Planus is very effectively treated with homeopathy.
- Homeopathic medicines help to increase a disease free period.
- Lichen Planus homeopathic treatment helps to improve health related quality of life.
Self care tips to help better treatment results…
- Don’t scratch the affected areas instead apply ice over the area which will reduce itching instantly
- Maintain good oral hygiene in case you have lichen planus of mouth.
- Drink water adequately.
- Use mild soaps or shower gels.
- Don’t scrub your skin with luffa/ bath scrubbers as they aggravate the condition
- Moisturize your skin with an appropriate moisturizer
- Stop smoking if you smoke. Limit the alcohol consumption
- De-stress yourself and keep a positive attitude
- Manage stress with meditation, exercises, yoga and morning exposure to adequate sunlight
Diet recommendations for better treatment results…
- Wheat germ, flax seeds or linseed, black currants, sesame seeds contain omega 3 fatty- acids that may help
- A tablespoon of ground flax seeds (Alsi) and pumpkin seeds should be consumed daily. This can be incorporated in chapattis or juices or sprinkle over salads
- Consume a calcium rich diet that includes skim milk, curds, paneer, baked beans, rajgira, sesame seeds, leafy vegetables, ragi
- Consume green leafy vegetables like spinach, Methi, lettuce, and chawli as salads, soups, and regular sabzi daily.
- Consume foods like carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, apricots, papaya, mangoes, pumpkins and green leafy vegetables at least once a day so that you get your daily quota of Vitamin A
- Consume a handful of nuts rich in Vitamin E like groundnuts, almonds, walnuts, seafood etc should be consumed in abundance unless you are allergic to nuts.
- Consume a diet rich in Vitamin C, which includes sweet limes, oranges, lemons, drumsticks, capsicum, sprouts, and amlas as it increases absorption of iron.
- Restrict intake of tea and coffee as it hinders iron absorption.
- Do not consume fried snacks.