Alopecia Areata - Diagnosis
Diagnosing alopecia areata is probably one of the easiest things for a hair expert, because the appearance of bald patches is so apparent and distinct. However, knowing your medical history and physical examination can help our doctors to understand your condition better.
Your diagnosis will be based on the following steps:
- Your medical history to rule out the underlying medical conditions that cause alopecia areata.
- Our doctor will conduct a painless video microscopy test, which magnifies the hair follicle and scalp up to 200 times. This test will show the following:
- hair density (thickness of hair on the scalp);
- thickness of an individual hair strand;
- condition of hair strands; and
- condition of the scalp.