Do you suffer from alopecia areata? Alopecia areata is a condition that causes hair to fall out. If you have alopecia, then the chances are that your skin may itch and feel itchy at times. This blog is about alopecia areata, its signs and symptoms, treatment of alopecia areata, and how homeopathy helps in alopecia areata treatment!
What is alopecia areata?
Alopecia areata is a condition in which patches of skin or hair on your scalp and body start to fall away from your skin, leaving bald spots. Alopecia areata is not contagious. Alopecia can begin at any age, but the most common symptoms of alopecia appear in children and young adults under 30 years old.
What are the signs and symptoms of alopecia?
- Hair loss on the scalp in a coin shape form.
- Loss of eyebrows or eyelashes.
- Scalp flakes or crusts.
- Redness in the bald spots.
- A tingling sensation and itching.
Does alopecia areata cause itching?
When someone has alopecia areata, they will often also experience itchiness. There can be several causes of the itchy feeling that alopecia areata patients feel at times. One reason for this is due to flaking skin or scaly patches on the scalp. Another reason is that alopecia areata can also cause an itchy feeling on the skin due to stress and anxiety.
Natural treatment options for an itchy scalp due to alopecia areata
- Keep your scalp clean by using shampoo and conditioner sparingly and washing gently with warm water instead of hot or cold water, which may dry out your skin even more.
- Avoid using hair products for styling as they may contain chemicals that irritate your skin.
- Use gentle, natural oils to moisturize and hydrate the scalp, such as coconut oil or jojoba oil.
- Apply a thick coat of petroleum jelly on the bald spots or itchy areas. It will help prevent infection until your scalp heals from alopecia areata.
- Gently brush your hair with special brushes. These brushes don't irritate the skin on the scalp as much as regular brushes might.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids such as green tea with coconut milk, herbal teas like peppermint or chamomile iced water. Avoid caffeinated beverages because they cause dehydration and may worsen the symptoms of alopecia areata.
- Take a break from your stressful lifestyle; vacations may be the best option for some. Do yoga and meditation.
- Keep taking steps towards getting healthy so you can make the most progress in making sure this doesn't happen again.
Remove the itch with homeopathy
Homeopathy can help with alopecia treatment in several ways. Homeopathic alopecia areata treatment tackles the root cause of alopecia areata, whether stress and anxiety or scalp flaking due to dry skin.
You can visit Dr. Batra's® homeopathic clinic for a detailed consultation.
Homeopaths at Dr. Batra’s® have a holistic approach with three steps:
- Firstly, we work on removing any emotional sources of alopecia areata such as worry and frustration.
- Secondly, we give medication that tackles the physical causes.
- Thirdly, we address nutrition issues that could be causing alopecia areata.
Do you want more information? Book an online appointment with us now! We would love to hear from you!