Dealing with Asthma in cold weather
Asthma treatment; symptoms of asthma
Don’t let the cold weather make your symptoms of asthma worse. The frequency of asthma attacks are quiet frequent for some individuals during winters. They end up staying indoors because of their ill health and cannot go out because of the cold weather. When the person suffering from asthma is staying indoors, triggering factors like molds, dust mites or pet dander may bring on an attack. When they are outdoors, inhaling cold air may cause an asthma attack.
Symptoms of asthma include shortness of breath, tightness of chest, wheezing or whistling sound while breathing out or exhaling, coughing which may get worse because of cold or flu. Symptoms of asthma may be getting worse when the individual experiences frequency of attacks getting very frequent, increased difficulty in breathing and increased use of the bronchodilators.
Asthma is a chronic disease of the airways that makes breathing difficult. When an individual gets an attack, there is inflammation of the air passages (bronchi) that result in a temporary narrowing of the airways that carry oxygen to the lungs. This results in asthma symptoms, including coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, and chest tightness.
Conventional treatment for asthma include medicine which dilate the air passages making it easy to breathe for that moment but as soon as the effect of the medicine wears off the attack comes in wand may be with more severity. Over a period of time the frequency of taking the medicine in the form of a tablet or a nebulizer or pump will keep increasing but will not bring longer disease free periods.
Homoeopathic medicines do not suppress the system while treating Asthma. It rather follows a curative approach. Person who is on a long-term conventional treatment for asthma is not asked to withdraw the medicines immediately but gradually the frequency of using the conventional become less frequent and then could completely stop after staring homeopathic treatment. The main aim of homeopathy is asthma treatment is to reduce the intensity of attacks, frequency of attacks and increase the disease free periods. Stress is also known to trigger asthma and can be very efficiently treated with homeopathy. Unlike conventional medicines for asthma treatment which could cause skin affections in later stages, homeopathy has no such side-effects. Homoeopathy helps to improve the health related quality of life.
Tips to Reduce Asthma
- Take care and keep all known triggering factors away like strong smells, perfumes, molds, dust.
- Do not smoke as smoking can make asthma symptoms worse.
- Try some de-stressing methods in case you are going through a stressful situation.
- Use proper thermals to keep yourself warm and even clean the thermals regularly so that it does not become a cause for your attack.
- Cover your nose and mouth when you go out so that the cold wind does not trigger an asthma attack.
- Avoid nuts, fish and dairy products which could also be a triggering factor for asthma.
- Keep an asthma diary to record the triggers etc.
- Try to keep your home pet free, or else bath your pets once a week in warm water with no soap. Pets have dander, it is a dead, dry skin that flakes out and is a powerful allergen.