Treat Summer Skin Problems with Homeopathy
Summer ought to make its presence felt, in every way it could. Come summer and we all end up complaining about certain diseases and health problems.
Cramps. These are painful muscle contractions which occur due to dehydration and electrolyte imbalances in the body. A suitable homeopathic medicince can help to alleviate cramps and reduce pain.
Dehydration. Summer and dehydration go hand in hand. Electrolyte imbalances occur in the body due to excessive sweating and loss of salts from the body. People become weak and the skin gets cold and clammy. Consumption of lemonade, lassi, butter milk, and coconut water helps to fight dehydration. Certain homeopathic medicines too can help to control dehydration better.
Gastroenteritis. Gastroenteritis is a general term that refers to infections (bacterial/viral) of the gastrointestinal tract. It leads to problems, such as stomach ache, diarrhoea and vomiting causing loss of body fluids, which in turn lead to dehydration. Children are usually most afflicted. Unhygienic surroundings, contaminated water and food items, and overcrowded areas are known culprits. Not eating at unhygienic places and drinking boiled water can help to keep gastrointestinal infections at bay. Homeopathic medicines can help to take care of the diarrhoea and vomiting in most cases.
Heatstroke. It is a sure shot sign that summer is overwhelming you. With the mercury rising and global warming affecting our cities and towns, a number of cases of acute dehydration and heatstroke are reported, especially in children. Hence, it becomes medically important to maintain the salt levels of the body; or else, it can result in a heatstroke, a common and serious problem in summer. Such individuals may suffer from fever, dizziness, headache, nausea, absence of perspiration and slip into a coma. A lot of people think that drinking adequate water is enough. In fact, it will just add to the problem, as you will sweat more and lose essential salts. One should drink fruit juice, lemon juice, lassi, and similar fluids too that can help to maintain the electrolyte balance in the body — as this is important.
Children are at a greater risk of suffering from dehydration and heatstroke as they often forget to drink water while playing outdoors. Moreover, it is difficult to stop them from playing in the sun. Therefore, their fluid intake should be monitored well — the best solution is, of course, to avoid prolonged sun exposure.
Homeopathic medicines provide good results in treating heatstroke cases.
Prickly heat. Excessive sweating leads to prickly heat, which is marked by tiny blisters in the folds of the skin and in areas of tight clothing. Loose clothing and the application of dusting talcum powder or soda bicarb dissolved in cold water on the affected part provides instant relief. Bathing with cold water twice daily is known to help. Homeopathic medicines too can help to reduce the frequency and intensity of prickly heat rash.
Skin problems. Come summer and the risk of developing fungal infections and photosensitivity increases because of excessive sweating and prolonged sun exposure. Hence, it is always better to avoid exposure to sunlight, especially between 10:00am and 4:00pm, when the UV rays are at their peak. Loose clothing must be worn. Homeopathic medicines can help combat fungal infections and reduce the severity or intensity of photosensitivity.
- Avoid fried food. Eating excessive fried food leads to lethargy as it slows down the digestion process. Go for grilled, steamed and roasted food instead.
- Reduce your intake of coffee and tea. Consuming excessive coffee and tea causes increased urination, which leads to water loss
- Avoid consuming stale fruits and vegetables. It is always advisable to eat them freshly cut/peeled. Also, avoid eating stale food as it could be a breeding ground for bacteria
- Do not overeat. Overeating is bad during any season. Heavy food may cause indigestion and lead to diarrhoea and vomiting. Avoid long gaps between meals
- Avoid excessive smoking and alcohol intake. Avoid alcohol and cigarettes, as they take away oxygen from the blood and reduce oxygenation in the lungs. They also dehydrate the body and raise its temperature
- Avoid carbonated drinks. They produce gas and lead to poor digestion as well as gastrointestinal distress
- Maintain good hygiene. Bathe twice and keep the body dry. Use a prickly heat powder
Most important. Follow-up with your homeopathic doctor, on a regular basis.