Do Men Also Suffer Thyroid Problems?
Amar started feeling an unexplained wave of fatigue of late. An inability to sleep at night soon became worsened with back pain and an unexplained weight loss. Concerned about his health, Amar went for a medical check-up. Much to his surprise, the tests revealed that he was suffering from hyperthyroidism.
Like Amar, many men suffer from thyroid problems silently. It is a myth that thyroid complications are generally associated only with women. This leads many men to ignore symptoms of thyroid disorders until it is too late. Men are generally more prone to suffering from a type of thyroid disorder called hyperthyroidism. Let’s understand more about this type of thyroid issue and explore its symptoms and treatment.
What Is Hyperthyroidism?
The thyroid gland is interlinked with major body functions including those of your heart and brain. The thyroid hormone is of vital importance to major body functions including heart rate, brain activity, cell regeneration, and metabolism. An imbalance in the hormone levels adversely affects many important aspects of health.
Sometimes, your thyroid gland produces more hormone than is necessary for your body. This leads to a condition called hyperthyroidism. In this thyroid disorder, a hyperactive thyroid gland pumps more hormone into your system, thus throwing other body processes off balance.
Causes of Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism is caused when your thyroid gland secretes too much thyroxine. This can happen due to the following causes:
- Graves’ disease: Graves’ disease is an autoimmune condition in which your immune system mistakenly attacks your thyroid gland. This leads to an excess of thyroid hormone. This disease is usually genetic and runs in families. People with weak immune systems are more susceptible to autoimmune diseases.
- Thyroiditis: Some viral infections can sometimes cause your thyroid gland to swell up. This leads to a leak of excess thyroid hormone into the bloodstream. In thyroiditis, the thyroid gland becomes noticeably large, painful, and tender.
- Medications: Certain medications such as some cough syrups, lithium, drugs to battle thyroid cancer, and certain vitamin supplements contain iodine. Your thyroid uses iodine to produce its hormones. An overdose of iodine can lead to hyperthyroidism due to an excess production of hormone.
Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism in Men
Symptoms of hyperthyroidism differ from person to person, depending on the severity of the condition. Some of the most common symptoms of are:
- Inability to sleep well at night
- Swelling in the neck
- Puffy or swollen eyes
- Unexplained weight loss
- Excessive sweating
- Increased bowel movements
- Lowered bone density and muscle pain
- Trembling and unsteady hands
- Fast heart beat and palpitations
- Hair loss and brittle nails
- Prolonged feeling of restlessness and hyperactivity
Health Complications of Hyperthyroidism
Studies show that many men don’t treat thyroid as a serious ‘male problem’. Viewing it as a woman’s disease, men often don’t take the right prescribed medication for hyperthyroidism. This can prove to be quite deadly as untreated thyroid problems cause many more health complications.
Hyperthyroidism is a progressive disease that slowly begins to harm your body functions. The increase in your heart rate can lead to hypertension complications early in life. An excess of thyroid hormone also eats away at your bone density, causing osteoporosis. Other medical complications of hyperthyroidism include impaired or blurry vision, gastric ulcers, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). Hyperthyroidism can prove fatal by leading to cardiac arrest in elderly patients.
Healing Thyroid with Homeopathy
Hyperthyroidism treatment in homeopathy offers holistic healing from the condition, for all age groups. Homeopathic medicines provide relief from the physical symptoms of thyroid problems so the patient can cope with daily activities. Homeopathy focuses on healing your body’s immune system and strengthening it to a point where it can control thyroid on its own.
Homeopathic medicines for thyroid are free from harmful side-effects such as loss of concentration, drowsiness, hair loss, and lowered libido. This helps make patients comfortable to seek treatment for thyroid problems. Homeopathy seeks to reduce your dependence on chemicals. All homeopathic medicines are natural and help you gain an overall sense of well-being. Now, say goodbye to thyroid problems forever. Talk to your homeopathic doctor, about the best hyperthyroidism treatment plan for you.