Can trichotillomania cause permanent hair loss?
Trichotillomania or hair-pulling disorder affects up to 4% of the world population. (Source: Health Research Funding) Some individuals pull hair when stressed. Others may do so due to underlying depression, anxiety, or obsessive-compulsive disorders.
Does hair grow back in trichotillomania?
Some amount of hair loss might be permanent in trichotillomania, particularly if it has been going on for many years. One way to promote hair growth is to stop the pulling. Frequent pulling damages hair follicles. This causes inflammation and triggers scar tissue to develop. If you have advanced trichotillomania, small broken-off hair and white discoloration from the scar tissue can be seen. Hair loss in this area is possible to be permanent.
Impact of trichotillomania
Trichotillomania can have a major negative impact on one’s life. Some complications include:
- Hair damage: Pulling out hair repeatedly can cause scarring or even infection which could affect further hair growth.
- Emotional suffering: This involves feelings of disgrace, nervousness, and awkwardness due to the condition. This makes you easily susceptible to substance abuse, suicidal tendency, depression, and other conditions.
- Trichobezoar: Eating your hair might lead to a large matted ball of hair in the digestive tract which can be life-threatening.
Conventional trichotillomania treatment comprises psychiatric treatment, administering antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications. There could be a recurrence once the conventional medicines are stopped. Also, conventional medicines might cause drug dependency and provide only temporary results.
Homeopathic trichotillomania treatment treats the apparent symptoms and goes to the root cause of the problem. The expert homeopathic doctors at Dr Batra’s™ have an in-depth understanding of trichotillomania and the associated emotional disturbances. Our homeopathic doctors evaluate the patient’s detailed case history, including an emotional assessment. Individual homeopathic medicines are then prescribed based on the emotional triggers and the patient’s individual response to that trigger. Moreover, the results are long-lasting as there is no drug dependency after taking homeopathy.
Treatment at Dr Batra’s™ involves the following steps:
- Conduct hair analysis with video microscopy to diagnose correctly, distinguish from other types of hair loss and examine scalp damage.
- Take a multi-factorial approach for psychosomatic illnesses.
- Comprehend stress factors such as work, family, and society.
- Correct deep-rooted psychological insecurities like doubts, worries, and bottled-up rage.
- Design individualized hair fall treatment plan.
- Prescribe homeopathic medicines that reduce the urge to pull, regulate mood swings and treat associated complaints.
- Help cope with stress.
- Help improve self-esteem.
- Help attain emotional stability.
- Reduce chances of recurrence.
If you or someone else notice you are pulling out your hair, it’s best to figure out the cause and start treatment sooner than later. Book an appointment with us so that our doctors can diagnose the root cause and come up with a tailored hair fall treatment plan for you.
- Note down the time and occasions on which you have indulged in pulling your hair. Also, note down the emotions you felt at that time. This enables you to know your actions and the potential triggers as well.
- Try and keep yourself occupied. Indulge in activities that would keep your hands busy and would keep them away from pulling your hair. For instance, crocheting, knitting, or even nail painting. Use a stress ball to keep your hands engaged.
- Wear a head bandana, hoodie, or wig to act as a barrier from reaching your hair easily.
- Reward yourself for the days that have been pull-free. This can boost self-confidence.
Relaxation methods such as yoga or meditation can help to calm down your anxiety and the urge to pull your hair.