Hypothyroidism Treatment in Homeopathy
Conventional medicines for hypothyroidism involve daily use of the synthetic thyroid hormone tablets. This medicine restores the thyroid hormones to normal levels and helps to reverse its signs and symptoms. The dosage of the medicine depends on the severity of the individual case and if you are suffering from any other disease as well, the doses are adjusted accordingly. Generally, the conventional medicines for hypothyroidism have to be taken life-long.
Case Study Related to Thyroid Hormones
Pranita aged 30 years was gaining weight rapidly for 6 months, although her eating habits were not that bad. She was very anxious about her life as things were not going well with her husband just because of her weight gain. She tried different ways to lose weight. She concentrated more minutely on her diet regime and started to exercise harder, but she would not lose much weight. She would vent out her stress on her daughter and also suffered from bad mood swings. Pranita was advised to do a thyroid test and it was found that her thyroid hormones were abnormally high. After a detailed case history, she was prescribed homeopathic medicine with appropriate diet and exercise. In due time, she showed improvement, and over a period of 3 months the thyroid hormone levels were back to normal. She lost weight and things came back to normalcy with her husband.
Case Study Related to Thyroid Hormones
Homeopathy offers great scope in the treatment of hypothyroidism for several reasons. Hypothyroidism is a chronic, progressive disease which is generally incurable. All that is possible through conventional treatment is to keep symptoms under control. However, in due course, symptoms of hypothyroidism along with disturbance in bodily functions such as menstrual irregularities, weight gain and mood swings, continue despite taking a regular dose of thyroid medicines. In some cases, it is also observed that the dosage needs to be increased with time. Homeopathy treats hypothyroidism with safe, natural medicines without side-effects. The medicine is selected according to the patient’s mental state and other physical characteristics. Homeopathy is a personalized treatment option as it treats each case as unique because the degree of symptoms and disturbance of emotions may vary from case to case.
Homeopathic Medicine for Hypothyroidism
Similarly there are other remedies like Lycopodium Clavatum, Sepia and Graphiteswhich are prescribed for hypothyroidism as per their personalities. However, self medication is not recommended. An expert homeopathic doctor takes a detailed case history and prescribes a suitable homeopathic medicine for better treatment outcome and longer disease-free period.
Why Dr Batra’s® for Hypothyroidism Treatment
At Dr Batra’s™, we have a team of experts from the departments of homeopathy as well as endocrinology who work as a team to plan the treatment for the best possible outcome for patients. Cases are studied in depth and detailed consultation is undertaken. A separate team of experts monitors how the treatment progresses. Our endocrinologists help us diagnose complicated cases and advise diet and conventional medicine, if necessary.
Hypothyroidism Treatment Outcome
- A.)The most common side-effects of levothyroxine include weight loss, increased appetite, heat intolerance, headache, anxiety, irritability, mood swings, trouble sleeping, tiredness, tremors, muscle weakness, menstrual irregularities in females, hairloss, stomach cramps and vomiting. These could be temporary side-effects which go away within a few days or a couple of weeks.
- B.)More severe and serious side-effects of levothyroxine include severe chest pain, shortness of breath, extreme tiredness, rapid heart rate, irregular heartbeat and heart failure.
- C.)If you are suffering from any other disease like heart troubles, depression, high cholesterol or high blood pressure, levothyroxine may interfere with your ongoing medicines and increase the risk of side-effects. Taking levothyroxine with anti-depressants can cause irregular heartbeats; taking it with blood thinners may increase the risk of bleeding.
- D.)Similarly when levothyroxine is taken with certain other conventional medicines, the effectiveness of the ongoing medicine can reduce. For example, Levothyroxine is known to reduce the effectiveness of anti-diabetic medicines, medicines for high cholesterol, anti-seizure medicines and anti-tuberculosis drugs. This causes the increase in the dosage of ongoing medicines.
- Calcarea Carbonica: Homeopathic remedy Calcarea Carbonicais one of the commonly prescribed homeopathic medicines for treating hypothyroidism . It is prescribed in obese people who cannot tolerate cold temperature at all. The person requiring this remedy may exhibit excessive sweating on head and are extremely sluggish in their work.
- Nux Vomica: This homeopathic remedy is prescribed in those individuals suffering from hypothyroidism who are extremely angry by nature and get offended very easily. They are very sensitive to all external impressions. This medicine also helps in relieving obstinate constipation in hypothyroid patients.
- We have secured a 96.6% success rate in treating thyroid disorders with homeopathy, as authenticated by American Quality Assessors.
Home Management for Hypothyroidism
- Maintaining Healthy Weight: Metabolism becomes very sluggish when the thyroid becomes underactive, hence it leads to weight gain. Exercise, healthy eating habits, and restful sleep help to maintain optimum weight and keeping the thyroid hormone from coming back to a normal state.
- Correcting Iodine Deficiencies: Iodine deficiencies are strongly linked to thyroid disorders. Include iodine-rich foods like seafood, shellfish, and sea vegetables such as kelp and some dairy products in your diet.
- Treating Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies: A leaky gut is a very common condition found in a hypothyroid individual and can interfere with the absorption of vitamin D causing its deficiency. After getting a blood test done for Vitamin D, supplements are advised by your treating doctor.
- Managing Stress: Physical or emotional stress can cause an underactive thyroid. Seeking professional help would help in coping with anxiety and feeling of depression. Surround yourself with positive people. Regular exercise, meditation, and yoga can help to reduce stress considerably.
- Keeping Female Hormones Balanced: Oestrogen levels fluctuate greatly in hypothyroid females. Seek help from a doctor who can help you to balance the thyroid with proper guidance on medicine along with diet and exercise. This would also help in maintaining optimum weight.
A study on ‘Homoeopathic Thyroidinum 3x–An Adjuvant in the Treatment of Hypothyroidism’ concluded that combined therapies of homeopathic medicines Thyroidinum 3X and Levothyroxine had a remarkable effect on weight loss and also relieved other symptoms that were caused because of hypothyroidism. Thyroidinum hastens the curative process in primary hypothyroidism. There were no side-effects on health after using 50% - 90% relief was achieved after introducing