Male Pattern Baldness - Overview
We assign much value to our appearance and correlate it with self-esteem. While healthy and fuller hair can make people look younger, loss of it can make them appear older. Hairfall in men not only affects the outer appearance but also their self-confidence. It can also possibly impact their career and relationships. According to the American Hair Loss Association, around two-thirds of men will begin to suffer from male pattern baldness by the age of 35. Moreover, 85% of the global population will eventually suffer from hair loss by the age of 50.
According to the National Center for Biotechnology, around 80% of cases of hairfall in men have been a result of a family history of hair loss. This condition is also called androgenic alopecia (AA). 'Androgenetic' refers to genes, meaning the condition is inherited and ‘alopecia’ refers to hair loss. There are 2 types of AA i.e., male pattern baldness (hair falling men) and female pattern baldness (hair loss in women).
One of the most common misconceptions is that genetic hairfall in men cannot be treated. This is because most people use cosmetic products, anti-hair fall oils and shampoos to treat male pattern hair loss. Hair loss, being a medical problem, needs to be treated with medications and not just superficially. Homeopathy is effective in treating genetic hairfall in men without any side-effects.
The most common symptoms of male pattern baldness are receding hair line, bald patches, overall hair thinning and even complete baldness.
Heredity is a leading cause of male baldness. Baldness or hairfall in men can sometimes be accentuated by other medical causes like anaemia, thyroid disorders, diabetes, medications, smoking and even stress.
- Conditions like age, weight loss, seborrhoeic dermatitis, metabolic disorders like hypertension and high cholesterolincrease the chances of male pattern baldness or hairfall in men. Nutritional deficiency of protein, iron, vitamin B12, folic acid and biotin can also be a leading trigger
Click on this link to assess the extent of your hair fall and know your individualized risk of the condition: self-evaluation hair loss test.
What to expect in a consultation at Dr Batra's™?
- Medical Assessment: In the first consultation, the doctor spends about 30-45 minutes understanding the extent of hair loss / male pattern baldness. He/she then evaluates the root causes of hair thinning.
- Scientific Analysis: The doctor conducts a digital hair and scalp analysis with a video microscope that helps to magnify the scalp up to 200 times. It identifies the extent of the problem, enabling an accurate scientific treatment plan. It also helps identify thinning hair that men with male pattern baldness, generally experience.
- Genetic Test Advice: In many cases, thegenes are responsible for hairfall in men. Dr Batra's™ Geno Homeopathy is a revolutionary, scientific, safe and precise gene-targeted homeopathic therapy. It is a new entrant in the field of personalized medicine in India. Geno Homeopathy is advised on the basis of a non-invasive genetic test that is done by collecting the saliva of the patient. This helps identify the strength of the hair gene and predicts the probability of going bald. It also helps identify and treat genetic factors that can cause hairfall in men (male pattern baldness). Since Geno Homeopathy is based on your individualized genetic predisposition, it is a customized and effective treatment for hair thinning men often experience.
Snapshot of a genetic test report for hair loss ~
- Treatment Plan: Based on the diagnosis of the hair loss problem, our doctors develop a customized treatment plan. The treatment plan is based on their patient’s needs, expectations, temperament and extent of hair loss. Dr Batra's™ follows an integrated approach of combining homeopathic medicine, nutritional supplements and aesthetic treatments to bring best results to patients experiencing male pattern baldness.
Male pattern baldness is a type of hairfall in men where genetics play an important role. In such cases, it requires effective treatment for prevention. However, here are some hair growth tips to follow for better management of the hair thinning men experience:
- Wash and brush the hair gently and use a wide-toothed comb preferably so that it does not pull out the hair.
- Avoid harsh hair treatments done at the salon.
- Avoid medicines that could trigger hairfall in men.
- Protect the hair from sunlight by wearing a bandana or a helmet (while riding a bike) or carrying an umbrella.
- Smoking can be a major cause of balding men experience.
Homeopathic treatment for Male Pattern Baldness
There are 5 advantages of homeopathic treatment for male pattern baldness:
- Homeopathy not only treats the symptoms of hair loss or hairfall in men but also the underlying illnesses like thyroid disorder, diabetes mellitus or even physical and emotional stress.
- It does not cause harmful side-effects such as decreased libido or ejaculation problems which commonly occur with the use of conventional medicines. Homeopathic remedies for hairfall in men such as Thuja Occidentalis or Sabal Serrulata have been used to treat male pattern baldness for over 100 years.
- It helps to strengthen the hair roots naturally.
- It helps to regulate the hormonal imbalance/s, slows down hair fall and improves nutrition. Homeopathy further helps in effective management of the hair thinning men experience leading to long-lasting results.
- It delays baldness and deterioration of the hair follicles. It also improves blood circulation and removes toxins.
What is male pattern baldness?
What is the average age for men to go bald?
Does male pattern baldness happen quickly?
Can male pattern baldness be predicted?
Does hair thinning mean balding?