Female Pattern Baldness - Overview
Have you noticed your ponytail getting thinner or your hair partition widening? Are there more than usual strands of hair in your hair brush, pillow or the shower drain? If yes, you could be suffering from female pattern baldness, which is one of the most common forms of hair loss in women.
Hair loss, though more strikingly visible in men, affects women as well. Baldness in women has a greater impact because there is less social acceptance of it. Hairfall in women also severely affects their self-confidence and emotional well-being.
One of the most common forms of hair loss in women is androgenetic alopecia. The word 'androgenetic' refers to the genes, meaning the condition is inherited and 'alopecia' refers to hair loss. This condition can be seen in both men and women. When it occurs in men it is known as male pattern baldness and when it occurs in women it is known as female pattern hair loss or female pattern baldness.
One of the most common misconceptions of hairfall in women is that it is a cosmetic problem. In fact, female pattern hair lossis a medical problem. Baldness in women can occur due to more than 40 different medical reasons and requires proper medical attention.
Signs and symptoms of hair loss in women
In case of hair loss in women, the hairline rarely recedes like it does for men. Excessive hair loss is a common sign of female pattern hair loss. One may start to notice more than usual strands of hair in the comb, on the pillow or on the shower drain. Overall hair-thinning along with the widening of the hair partition in a ‘Christmas-tree’ like pattern is a distinctive symptom of female pattern baldness.
Causes of hair loss in women
Baldness in women can be due to many reasons like heredity, stress, nutritional deficiency, thyroid disorders, diabetes mellitus or hormonal problems like polycystic ovarian syndrome. Certain medications can also trigger hairfall in women. In case you take any medication for a prolonged period and are also experiencing hair loss, consult your doctor about it.
Risk factors for hair loss in women
There are certain conditions that can increase the risk of baldness in women. Having a family history of hair loss or balding on either side of the family is a leading cause of baldness in women. Age is another important factor for hairfall in women that can lead to female pattern hair loss. Hormonal changes in the different stages of life can trigger hair loss in women. Excessive and sudden weight loss can cause baldness in women as well. Frequent harsh hair treatments can damage hair and are a common cause of thinning hair women generally struggle with. A major cause of female pattern hair loss is deficiency in nutrients like protein, iron, vitamin B12, folic acid and biotin. Metabolic disorders like hypertension and high cholesterol as well as conditions like Seborrhoeic dermatitis can also play a role in causing or aggravating hairfall in women. Underlying medical disorders like PCOD, thyroid disorder, anaemia and menopause can be the leading reason behind baldness in women.
If you want to assess the current state of your hair loss problem and understand the individualized hair loss risk, take the self evaluation hair loss test online https://www.drbatras.com/hair-evaluation-test
Diagnosis of hair loss in women
What to expect in a consultation at Dr Batra's™?
Medical Assessment : In the first consultation, the doctor spends about 30-45 minutes understanding the extent and the root cause of the female pattern hair loss.
Scientific Analysis : To further understand the extent and the cause of the female pattern hair loss, the doctor conducts a digital hair and scalp analysis. This is done through a video microscope that helps to magnify the hair and the scalp up to 200 times. Identifying the extent of the problem helps in determining an accurate scientific treatment plan for treating female pattern baldness.
Genetic Test Advice : In many cases, the genes are responsible for baldness in women. Geno Homeopathy is a revolutionary, scientific, safe and precise gene-targeted homeopathic therapy. It is advised on the basis of a non-invasive genetic test that is conducted by testing the saliva of the patient. This test helps to identify the strength of the hair loss gene, predicts the probability of going bald and identifies as well as treatsthe possible genetic factors that can cause female pattern baldness. Since Geno Homeopathy is based on your unique genetic predisposition, it is the most individualized and customized treatment for treating baldness in women.
Snapshot of a genetic test report for hair loss ~
Treatment Plan : Once the cause of the female pattern hair loss is diagnosed, our experienced homeopathic doctors will suggest a customized treatment for hair fall plan. Dr Batra's™ follows an integrated approach for treating baldness in women. It combines homeopathic medicines, nutritional supplements and aesthetic treatments to bring the best treatment results.
Prevention of hair loss in women
When hair loss is caused by genetics or underlying medical disorders, it may be difficult to prevent it without medical treatment. However, there are some easy tips that can be helpful in controlling hair fall:
- Wash and brush the hair gently and use a wide-toothed comb preferably to avoid pulling out the hair. This can be helpful in preventing baldness in women.
- Avoid hairstyles like tight braids, buns or ponytails. They pull at the root of the hair and can cause hair loss in women.
- Avoid harsh hair treatments done at salons.
- Avoid medicines that could trigger hairfall.
- Protect the hair from the harmful rays of the sun. Cover the hair with a scarf or carry an umbrella while stepping out. Wearing a helmet while riding can also help.
- Reduce and if possible, avoid smoking as it may lead to baldness in women.
Homeopathic treatment for Female Pattern Baldness
There are 5 advantages of homeopathic treatment for female pattern baldness :
- Homeopathic treatment for hairfall in women not only treats the symptoms of hair loss but also its root cause.Female pattern hair loss treatment in homeopathy effectively addresses underlying conditions like thyroid disorder, polycystic ovarian syndrome, anaemia, diabetes mellitus as well as physical and emotional stress.
- Homeopathic treatment for hair loss in women does not cause harmful side-effects, which commonly occur because of conventional medicines used for hair fall treatment. Homeopathic remedies for hair fall such as Thuja Occidentalis or Sabal Serrulata have been used to treat hair loss problemsfor over 100 years.
- Homeopathic medicines to treat female pattern baldness help to strengthen the hair roots naturally, without any harmful effects.
- Homeopathic treatment for baldness in women helps to regulate the hormonal imbalance/s, reduces hair fall and improves the absorption of nutrients. Homeopathy further helps in the effective management of thinning hair women experience, leading to long-lasting results
- It delays baldness in women, improves blood circulation and removes toxins.
Want to know your hair loss score? Take the Hair evaluation test: Test Now
What does female pattern hair loss look like?
Can female hair loss be reversed?
Can female pattern hair loss be stopped?
Can telogen effluvium look like female pattern baldness?
Does female pattern hair loss affect eyebrows?