All about Female Pattern Baldness
Have you noticed your ponytail getting thinner or your hair partition widening? Are there more than usual strands of hair in your comb, hair brush, pillow or the shower drain? If yes, you could be suffering from Female Pattern Baldness - one of the most common forms of hair loss in women.
Hair loss, though more strikingly visible in males, affects females as well. Hair loss in women has a greater impact on them because it's less socially acceptable for them. It also severely affects their self-confidence and emotional well-being.
Female pattern baldness is medically known as androgenetic alopecia - ‘androgenetic’ referring to the genes meaning the condition is inherited and ‘alopecia’ referring to hair loss. One of the most common misconceptions of hair loss is that it is a cosmetic problem. In fact, hair loss is a medical problem and can occur due to 40 different medical reasons like genetics, anaemia, nutritional deficiency, and diseases such as thyroid disorders, diabetes mellitus and polycystic ovarian syndrome.
So, if you are suffering from hair loss, stop running from parlour to parlour, depending on beauty products to control it. Hair loss is a medical problem and needs to be treated medically.
Signs and Symptoms
In females, the hairline rarely recedes like it does in males. Some of the common hair loss symptoms of female pattern baldness are:
- Excessive hair loss (determined by excess hair droppings all around)
- More than usual strands of hair in the comb, on the pillow or on the shower drain
- A thinner pony tail or overall hair thinning
- Widening of the hair partition, in a ‘Christmas-tree’ like pattern Read More
Hair loss in women can be due to many reasons like stress, heredity, anaemia, nutritional deficiency, thyroid disorders, diabetes mellitus or hormonal problems like polycystic ovarian syndrome. In case of a prolonged medication, a consultation with the doctor is a must as it could be the cause of hair loss. Read More
Following are some conditions that affect the risk of hair loss:
- Huge amount of weight loss
- Family history of balding on either side of the family
- Parlor treatments that can damage your hair
- Seborrhoeic dermatitis
- Metabolic disorders like hypertension and high cholesterol
- Nutritional deficiency of protein, iron, vitamin B12, folic acid and biotin
- Underlying medical disorders like PCOD, thyroid disorder, anemia, and menopause
We also have a self evaluation hair loss test that you can take online to assess the current state of the hair loss problem and know the individualized hair loss risk.
What to expect in a consultation at Dr.Batra's™?
Medical Assessment : In the first consultation, the doctor spends 45 minutes understanding the extent and root cause of the hair loss.
Scientific Analysis : The doctor conducts a digital hair and scalp analysis with a video microscope that helps to magnify the hair and scalp up to 200 times. It identifies the extent of the problem enabling an accurate scientific treatment plan.
Genetic Test Advice : In many cases, our genes are responsible for hair loss. Dr Batra's™ has developed Geno Homeopathy - the world’s first gene-targeted homeopathic therapy. Geno Homeopathy is advised on the basis of a non-invasive Genetic Test that is done by collecting the saliva of the patient. This helps identify the strength of the hair loss gene, helps predict the probability of going bald, and helps identify and treat possible genetic factors that can cause hair loss. Since Geno Homeopathy is based on your individualized genetic predisposition, it is, therefore, the most individualized and customized treatment for hair loss.
Snapshot of a genetic test report for hair loss ~
Treatment Plan : Based on the diagnosis of the hair loss problem and the expectations from treatment, our qualified and experienced doctors (some have completed a fellowship course in Dermatology, including Trichology, from the Mumbai University) develop a customized treatment plan. Based on the individual needs, they recommend the right treatment to the patient. Dr Batra's™ follows an integrated approach combining homeopathic medicine, nutritional supplements and aesthetic treatments to bring best results to patients. Read More
If the hair loss is caused by genetics or underlying medical disorders it may not be preventable without treatment. However, here are some hair growth tips to follow for better hair care:
- Wash and brush the hair gently and use a wide-toothed comb preferably so that it does not pull out the hair.
- Avoid tight hairstyles like as braids, buns or ponytails.
- Avoid harsh treatments done at the salon.
- Avoid medicines that could trigger hair loss.
- Protect the hair from sunlight by wearing a scarf or a helmet (while riding a bike) or carrying an umbrella.
- Stop smoking as it may cause baldness.
Homeopathic treatment for Female Pattern Baldness
There are 5 advantages of homeopathic treatment for female pattern baldness :
- It not only treats the symptoms of hair loss but also its root cause, which can be an underlying illness like thyroid disorder, polycyctic ovarian syndrome, anaemia, diabetes mellitus, or even physical and emotional stress.
- It does not cause harmful side effects which commonly occur with the use of conventional drugs used for hair fall treatment. Homeopathic remedies for hair fall such as Thuja Occidentalis or Sabal Serrulata have been used to treat hair loss for over 100 years. Read More
Dr Batra’s™ Homeopathy: Safe, natural, holistic treatments
- Internationally proven homeopathic medicines cited as natural DHT-inhibitor
- 96.6% treatment success rate
- No side-effects
- Understands and treats medical ailments, thereby treating hair fall from the root
Dr Batra’s™ Geno Homeopathy: Homeopathy combined with genetics
- World’s 1st ever gene-targeted homeopathic therapy
- 99.9% accurate test results
- Predicts & prevents hereditary hair loss
- Long-term results
Dr Batra’s™ STM Cell: Derma roller treatment
- Hair Treatment based on French Technology
- 88% treatment success rate
- Increases hair volume and density
- Procedure takes just 60 minutes once a week
Dr Batra’s™ groHAIR: Meso Therapy
- Treatment based on a Nobel Prize winning discovery
- 77% treatment success rate
- Non-invasive treatment that improves hair volume & stimulates hair growth
- Procedure takes just 30 minutes once a week
Dr Batra’s™ Hair Vitalizing Treatment: Hair fall control
- US-FDA approved low-level laser therapy
- 90% treatment success rate
- Treatment to restore growth of hair follicles
- Procedure takes just 20 minutes once a week
Dr Batra’s™ Hair Transplant: Reverses baldness & restores hair line
- International techniques of FUE & FUT
- 95% treatment success rate
- Surgical treatment to reverse baldness and restore natural hairline
- Long-lasting hair fall solution
Dr Batra’s™ Quik Hair: Wigs & Toupees
- International quality toupees & wigs
- Made from natural human hair
- Get a head full of hair instantly
Dr Batra’s™ Home Care: Products formulated by Trichologists
- Products formulated by Trichologists
- Natural & safe products that control hair fall & boost hair growth
- Enriched with benefits of natural plants for healthy hair & skin
- Choose from our wide range of hair & other products because you deserve the best
“Three months of my treatment has helped me a lot. My hair fall has reduced from 200 to 60 strands per day. Thank you so much.”
1. I am 24-year old woman and have been noticing hair fall recently. This happened after I changed my place of stay. Can hair loss be linked to the water?
Yes, a lot of people complain about hair fall after relocating their place of stay. It is harmful chemicals and the amount of chlorine in the water that can be a cause of hair loss. However, this might not be the only reason. A hair and scalp analysis through a video-microscope will identify the underlying cause for your hair loss. Accordingly, a suitable and customized treatment plan can be advised by the doctor.
2. I delivered a baby 6 months ago and have been noticing a lot of hair fall ever since. Can you help me?
Certainly. Noticing increased hair fall after pregnancy is a common phenomenon. The sudden drop in the female hormone (oestrogen) causes excessive hair loss. While the hair loss should stabilize 3 months after delivery, it may carry on for much longer, as it has in your case. This can be treated very safely and effectively through homeopathy
3. My 22-year old daughter is losing excessive hair since last 3 months. Is there a treatment to control it?
A hair and scalp analysis through a video-microscope is recommended in this case. It will help to identify the underlying cause for your daughter’s hair loss. Accordingly, a suitable and customized treatment plan can be advised by the doctor. The first goal of treatment would be to arrest this excessive hair loss and understand its root cause. In case you are suffering from a medical problem, which is responsible for your hair loss, our doctors would recommend a homeopathic treatment to treat your hair loss problem from the root without side effects. In case you have nutritional deficiencies leading to hair loss, they would recommend a food supplement (Nutrigood). Certain non-invasive, non-surgical aesthetic treatments are also available at our clinics. These include treatments like Gro Hair, STM Cell Treatment or Hair Vitalizing Treatment. Our doctors will recommend an individualized treatment plan for your daughter that will certainly help her overcome this problem.
4. I have a lot of personal and professional stress. Can this stress be a reason for my hair fall?
Yes, stress is known to increase hair loss. Relaxation techniques such as yoga and meditation will help you control your stress levels. Homeopathic medicines can alter your reaction to stress thereby preventing hair fall.
5. I am 50-year old woman and have noticed my hair thinning lately. How can it be stopped?
It is common for women to lose hair or notice hair thinning at the onset of menopause. The hormonal changes at that time are responsible for this. With an effective combination of homeopathic medicine, nutritional supplement/s and aesthetic treatment, your hair thinning can be effectively treated.