Depression - Diagnosis
- Your doctor will diagnose depression on the basis of common signs and symptoms.
- A special questionnaire may be used for evaluation.
- Your doctor will also ask about any drug or alcohol abuse, or physical illnesses that may have led to depression.
- In chronic depression, your doctor may refer you to a psychiatrist, who will look into your health issues, home and work environments, loss of job, marital discord, or experiences that may have had a bearing on how you feel about yourself and others.
- Blood tests may be considered for female patients, when there is a suspicion of hormonal disorder.