The thyroid gland is one of the most significant glands in the body. It is one of the hormone-producing organs and it essentially controls the rate at which the body’s various organs and systems function. It influences blood circulation, energy levels,immunity and sugar regulation. It is the overall controller of growth and development, and of metabolism throughout the body. Hypothyroidism is when the thyroid gland doesn’t produce sufficient thyroid hormones in order to meet the requirements of the body. It is also known as underactive thyroid.
Causes of hypothyroidism
When the thyroid gland doesn’t produce sufficient hormones, the balance of chemical reactions in the body can be distressed. The causes of hypothyroidism include the following:
- Congenital disease: Sometimes, the thyroid gland doesn’t function properly from birth. This leads to physical and mental growth problems.Babies with congenital hypothyroidism seem normal at birth. That's the reason why most hospitals have new-born thyroid screening.
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis: It is an autoimmune condition where the body makes antibodies that destroy parts of the thyroid gland.
- Treatment for hyperthyroidism: The condition in which excessive months of thyroid hormone is produced is known as hyperthyroidism. In some cases, the treatment of hyperthyroidism can result in hypothyroidism.
- Thyroid surgery: Removing the thyroid gland can reduce the production of thyroid hormones, which can lead to symptoms of hypothyroidism.
- Radiation therapy: Radiation used to treat cancers of the head and neck can affect the thyroid gland and lead to hypothyroidism.
- Medications: A number of medicines can interfere with thyroid hormone production.One of them is lithium which is used to treat certain psychiatric disorders. Whenever you take medication, ask your doctor about its influence on your thyroid gland.
- Pregnancy: Some women develop hypothyroidism during or after pregnancybecause they produce antibodies to their own thyroid gland. If left untreated, hypothyroidism upsurges the risk of miscarriages, early delivery and preeclampsiawhich is a condition that causes a substantial rise in a woman's blood pressure during the last three months of pregnancy. It also seriously affects the developing foetus.
- Iodine imbalance: Iodine is needed for the production of the thyroid hormones, but the level must be balanced. Too little iodine leads to hypothyroidism whereas too much iodine worsens hypothyroidism.
- Pituitary gland abnormalities: If the pituitary gland stops functioning properly, the thyroid gland may not produce the correct amount of thyroid hormone. Pituitary tumours or pituitary surgery can affect the function of the pituitary gland and this can adversely affect the thyroid gland.
Treatment of hypothyroidism
Untreated gestational Hypothyroidism results in impaired intellectual, cognitive and neural functions of new-borns. Attention deficit and hyperactive syndromes are common in children who were born to hypothyroid mother. The homeopathic treatment stimulates the body’s homeostatic or inner self-balancing mechanisms. There are a manageable number of remedies that have a propensity to help the thyroid.
Homeopathy offers great scope in the treatment of hypothyroidism for several reasons. The three advantages of homeopathic treatment of hypothyroidism are:
- Homeopathy treats thyroid diseases internally and strengthens the body’s immune system, without causing any side effects.
- Homeopathy works in conjunction with conventional medicine to give effective and long-lasting results.
- Homeopathy treats hypothyroidism with safe and natural medicines.
- Homeopathy offers a personalised treatment to treat thyroid problems. Each case of the thyroid is unique with regards to its physical symptoms and its emotional disturbances.
It’s important to pay attention to changes your body goes through during your life span. If you notice a significant difference in how you feel or how your body is responding, visit the nearby homeopathic clinic and talk to the doctor to see if a thyroid problem is affecting you.