Different types of acne and their homeopathic remedy.
Acne is a skin condition that occurs when your hair follicles become plugged with oil and dead skin cells. It is characterized by whiteheads, blackheads or pimples, oily skin, and possible scarring. Acne is most common in teenagers, though it affects people of all ages. It affects areas of skin with a large number of oil glands like face, upper part of the chest, shoulders, and back. The resulting appearance can lead to anxiety, reduced self-esteem and in extreme cases depression.
What causes acne?
Normally, dead skin cells come up to the surface of your skin and exit through the pore of hair follicles. In acne, increased production of oily sebum causes the dead skin cells to stick together. The accumulation of dead skin cell debris and oily sebum blocks the pore of hair follicles and causes acne.
The main hormone responsible for oily sebum production is dihydrotestosterone. Higher amounts of hormones are secreted during stages of puberty and leads to an increase in sebum production thereby causing acne during menstruation.
- Whiteheads: these remain under the skin and are small in shape
- Blackheads: clearly visible, they are black and appear on the surface of skin
- Papules: small, usually pink bumps, visible on the surface of skin
- Pustules: red, pus-filled pimples
- Nodules: large solid painful pimples that are embedded in the skin
- Cyst: painful, pus-filled pimples on the surface of skin
Homeopathic treatment for acne
Unlike conventional treatment, homeopathy treatment for acne treats the disorder from the root and doesn’t cause any side-effects. It suggests customized homeopathic remedies for acne to individuals based on their health history, likes and dislikes, temperament, and causative factors.
It helps in the following ways:
- Controls the tendency to have acne
- Addresses underlying hormonal disturbances like PCOS causing acne
- Reduces excessive oiliness of skin
- Prevent acne scarring
Below are just a few of the many possible remedies that homeopaths consider for treating acne:
- Calcarea sulph - helpful in cases of cystic acne, lesions do not heal quickly, unhealthy look of skin. Person has tendency to get infections of sinuses, ears and tonsils.
- Kali bromatum – this remedy is helpful in cases where acne of teenagers continues in adulthood. The person has fidgety of hands and feet, unpleasant dreams, restless sleep and teeth grinding.
- Pulsatilla – helps in treating acne in young girls that is associated with the onset of puberty, menstrual period or with pregnancy. The person has tendency to little thirst, weeping tendency and likes consolation and open air.
- Silicea – deep hard cystic acne like boils or face pimples are slow to heal and leave pitting scars. The person tends to get infections easily and frequently. They may have excessive sweating of palms and soles
- Sulphur - blackheads are plentiful. Pimples and whiteheads are very large but not that deep. Pimples are itchy.
- Calcarea carb - frequent pimples and skin eruptions with clammy hands and feet, easily tired by exertion and flabby or overweight
Caution: Please note that the remedies mentioned above are just to make you understand that there are different homeopathic remedies for different acne types and personality. Homeopathic doctors take your detailed case history, consider underlying causes and factors of acne and then prescribe you an individualized homeopathic treatment for acne. Therefore, do not self-medicate. Always consult a professional homoeopathic practitioner to determine an appropriate remedy that will rebalance your entire system and treat your skin problems.
A Case in point
A 19-year-old female visited our clinic with complaints of acne, irregular stool, and irregular menses. She was suffering from acne for last 1.5 yrs and was having pustular acne type. Her pimples were painful and would leave marks behind it. They would increase after eating oily or spicy foods. She was having lot of anxiety issues due to which her performance in exams was also getting degraded day-by-day. Her menses used to get delayed by 2-3 months and was very painful when appeared. After detailed case taking, we prescribed her constitutional homeopathic medicine for acne and within 4 months she felt much better. Not only her skin got clear but her periods regularized. Moreover, she regained her lost confidence and could easily deal with anxiety issues.
Prevention and management tips
- Wash your face more than twice each day with warm water and mild face wash
- Do not scrub your skin as this may push the infection further down causing more acne
- Avoid pricking pimples as this may lead to acne scarring
- Choose mild make up and avoid oil based products, remove makeup before sleeping
- Avoid anxiety and stress as it can increase production of cortisol and adrenaline hormones which leads to acne.