Lower Back Pain
The lower back supports our upper body weight and provides mobility for everyday movements like bending and twisting. The nerves in the lower back supply sensation and power to the muscles in the pelvis, legs and feet. Lower back pain can be the result of an acute injury that can further lead to arthritis. Lower back pains are the 2nd most common cause of disability according to the World Health Organization and impacts up to 540 million people worldwide as published in The Lancet.
Types of lower back pain
- Lumbar spondylosis: This is a term given to normal wear and tear of the lumbar (the lower back) spinal discs. As your body ages, the spinal discs lose moisture and shrink, developing bone spurs that make it weaker. These new bone growths are called Osteophytes that form along joint margins. This type of lower back pain induces chronic pain and stiffness. The pain is usually worse in the morning and gets better throughout the day.
- Prolapse intervertebral disc (sciatica): This type of lower back ache is caused due to compression of the sciatic nerve. The person suffering from sciatica may feel shock-like or burning low back pain. This is combined with radiating pain through the buttocks and legs.
- Osteoporosis:Osteoporosis increases the size of the spaces inside the bone, causing it to lose strength and density. This results in weaker and thinner bones. People suffering from osteoporosis are at a high risk of fractures or bone breaks, even during routine activities such as standing or walking. Low serum calcium intake further contributes to diminished bone density, early bone loss and an increased risk of fractures. The most commonly affected bones other than the spine are the ribs, hips and wrists.
- Osteoarthritis:Osteoarthritis occurs when the protective cartilage that cushions the ends of the bones wears down over time. It can damage the spine and also other joints like hands, knees and hips. Symptoms of osteoarthritis include soreness in back, stiffness, swelling and bony enlargements in the middle and end joints of the fingers. Osteoarthritis affects people over the age of 50 and is seen more in women than in men.
- Ankylosing spondylitis:Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is an inflammatory disease that can cause the small bones in your spine (vertebrae) to fuse. This makes the spine less flexible resulting in a hunched-forward posture giving it an appearance similar to bamboo. It is hence alternatively named "bamboo spine". AS causes inflammatory back pain, resulting in structural and functional impairments leading to reduced quality of life.
What if the patient is left untreated?
- Auto-immune disorders like rheumatoid arthritis or even repetitive injuries can cause nerve compressions resulting in pain, numbness and muscle weakness at the site of the nerve.
- Bowel and bladder disturbances due to nerve compression.
- Severe pain and stiffness may radiate to other joints such as the hip, neck and shoulders.
- Prolepses of the vertebra causing acute emergency and even lead to need for surgery.
- Long-term use of pain killers can cause addiction and depression.
- Restricted mobility may result in limitations in social engagements and reduced physical movement.
Importance of homeopathy treatment & its benefits
Homeopathy is known for its safe and gentle ways of treatment as it is obtained from natural ingredients. Homeopathy is preferred all over the world as it has no side-effects. It is non-toxic and non-addictive; enabling long-term treatment. Homeopathic medicine helps reduce the intensity, rate of recurrence and duration of the pain with safe methods.
In a randomized, double-blind and placebo-controlled trial conducted by the National Center for Biotechnology Information, 248 patients aged 18 to 75 years were screened, out of which 228 were randomized, 221 started therapy and the progress of 192 was measured. This trial shows that the homeopathic treatment and allopathic combination can improve the treatment of chronic low back pain.
Homeopathy offers a wide range of options for backache treatment and several other musculoskeletal conditions by treating the underlying cause. When taken over a period of time, the patient will notice the following improvement:
- reduced stress and strain over muscles
- reduced soreness, stiffness and paining back
- enhanced mineral absorption
- enhanced bone repair
- minimized recurrence
This reduces the emotional burden resulting in an enhanced quality of life.
Why Dr Batra's™?
At Dr Batra's™, thousands of patients have been treated for various forms of backache, ranging from the neck to the lower back. In the past 35 years, our patients have reported a 91% success rateas authenticated by American Quality Assessors. Our expert homeopathy doctor customizes treatment plans which suit your requirements. The customized treatment plan helps to speed up recovery and reduce the need for painkillers.