Reaching out to the world

IMRB survey reveals, 70% of parents in Mumbai restrict children either from eating food they like or playing outside for the fear of them falling ill

Child health issues have always been a cause of serious concern in the country. According to a survey conducted by a leading research firm Kantar IMRB and commissioned by Dr Batra’s™ Homeopathy, clearly highlights that,70% of the parents in Mumbai are forced to restrict their children either from eating food they like or playing outside for the fear of them falling ill. The survey was conducted by Kantar IMRB across eight major cities in India having a sample size of 1,617 respondents (mother or father), with children in the age group of 2-10 years and belonging to socio economic class A and B. The focus of the survey was to understand the health issues among children and best treatment options available with long term benefits.

Based on the illness index observed among children in Mumbai, 68% of them fall ill at least once in every 3 months, forcing parents to prevent their children from consuming ice-creams, chocolates, pastries, cold drinks etc. due to fear of catching cold and cough. It was also observed that, parents restrict their children from playing outdoors due to dust/pollution, in fear of triggering an allergy and at times preventing them from playing with other children in fear of catching infections. Considering the fact that a child’s sound health is a key factor to an excellent academic year, missing school due to illness can put a lot of pressure on both the child and his/her parents. However, the situation in Mumbai is quite alarming, according to the survey, 56% of the children miss school for less than 10 days which is higher than the other cities (v/s the national average of 44%). The survey further highlights that 21% children miss school between 10-15 days.

But the biggest question here is what kind of ailments are restricting children to enjoy their childhood. Survey states that, while cough and cold account for 70% and fever 64%- which are the most common ailments identified in Mumbai, the city also witnesses higher incidences of upper respiratory tract infection at 34% (v/s the national average of 27%) and tonsillitis at 31% (v/s the national average of 20%).

Since most families in Mumbai are nuclear families, where mostly both parents are working, there is also a growing concern with 82% of parents who feel that Allopathy may have adverse side effects on children. They are now willing to consider a medication that fights disease at its roots, improves immunity and has no side effects on their children. IMRB survey also underlines that, 85% of the parents feel that Homoeopathy is the best form of treatment for long term results and helps in building immunity and resistance in children. The survey further states that, 97% parents are willing to try homeopathy out of which 67% are current users already (either through standalone or dual treatment).

Speaking on the findings of the survey, Padma Shri recipient Dr. Mukesh Batra, Founder and Chairman Emeritus, Dr. Batra’s™ Group of Companies said “Based on the survey finding revealed by IMRB, it is very evident that the ailments faced by children in Mumbai are all related to low-immunity – almost 90% children in this case. It is tragic to see the future of our country is losing out on their childhood due to illnesses that are easily preventable and treatable. Parents today are being overprotective about their children, which in turn is having an adverse impact on their physical and psychological well-being. Therefore, it’s about time that parents consider a treatment option which strengthens the immune system of a child, increasing the body’s capability of self-healing. Homeopathy is a great cost effective option that treats ailments holistically by enhancing nutrient absorption and assimilation, resulting in better general health, restoring happiness to their childhood.”